Wood Burning Stoves
Wood Burning Stove Safety Tips
Be sure to follow the manufacturers' directions and the local building codes for proper installation, use, and maintenance of your wood-burning stove.
Always start your fire using paper and small pieces of kindling. Never use accelerants to start a fire. Things can get out of hand in a hurry!
Be sure that any combustible surface is kept well clear of the wood burning stove – an example would be a couch or chair that is placed too close.
Burn only well-seasoned wood. Green or unseasoned wood burns cooler than well-seasoned wood, and can cause creosote to build up at a much faster rate. Do not burn driftwood as it’s laden with salt and will corrode the linings of your pipes.
Be sure to clean the ashes out of your wood-burning stove on a regular basis. Store the ashes in a covered metal container. Hot coals in discarded ashes can easily ignite grass, leaves, and trees if left uncovered. Keep the ash container at a safe distance away from the house and any other nearby buildings.
Smoke Detectors and Fire Extinguishers
Change the batteries and test each smoke detector unit regularly. If for some reason you have disconnected a smoke detector, hook it back up. This precaution SAVES LIVES! Smoke detectors can be purchased at most hardware, home building, and a variety of retail stores. This is a very inexpensive way to protect you and your family.
Keep a fire extinguisher handy, and make sure that everyone in your household knows how to use it. Keep your fire extinguisher well maintained. If it does not work, it won't do you any good!
Summary of Tips
- Have your chimney inspected and cleaned by a certified, insured Chimney Sweep.
- Never start a fire using an accelerant.
- Burn only dry, well-seasoned wood.
- Clean out the ashes regularly.
- Store the ashes in a covered metal container at a safe distance from your house.
- Be sure your smoke detectors are in proper working order.
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy.
- Make sure your fire extinguisher is well maintained and that every household member knows how to use it.