Records and Status Cards

An individual recognized by the federal government as being registered under the Indian Act is referred to as a Registered Indian (commonly referred to as a Status Indian). Status Indians are entitled to a wide range of programs and services offered by federal agencies and provincial governments.


Find out how to apply for Indian status as a Bill S-3, An Act to amend the Indian Act in response to the Superior Court of Quebec decision in Descheneaux c. Canada (Procureur général) applicant. This act provides new entitlement to Indian status and came into force on December 22, 2017.

You can now apply to register as an Indian under the Indian Act and get a Secure Certificate of Indian Status (secure status card) at the same time.

You may be eligible if:

your direct female ancestor (mother, grandmother, great-grandmother; not aunt) lost Indian status when she married a non-Indian before April 17, 1985


you have a direct female ancestor, born out of wedlock between September 4, 1951, and April 16, 1985, to an Indian man and a non-Indian woman


your direct ancestor lost Indian status as the result of their mother's marriage to a non-Indian man between September 4, 1951, and April 16, 1985


your direct ancestor lost Indian status as the result of a successful protest of their status due to their non-Indian parentage between September 4, 1951 and April 16, 1985.

Please CLICK HERE to get more information and how to apply.


Do you have a year or less before your Certificate of Indian Status Card (paper laminate card) expires?

The NEW Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card applications are available at the SFN office. 

What you need to bring:

  1. Original Birth Certificate (Minors require the original Birth Certificate with both parent’s name shown on it)
  2. Two Passport size photos (Costco has the best price) and
  3. Two other pieces of ID (one picture) or a Passport. 

By appointment – a half hour is required to do the application.  Please allow 6-7 weeks to receive the card. 

Do you travel with sports clubs?

Please apply NOW in order to make the border crossing faster and easier.


If You Do Not Have a Status Card


If you do not have sufficient IDs to obtain a status card, you may wish to get a Temporary Confirmation of Registration Document (TCRD).

This document is not ID, but is meant to facilitate access to benefits and services. It is available from INAC by calling 1-800 -567-9604 and asking for the TCRD. You will be transferred to the Winnipeg Processing Unit (WPU) and will need to answer questions to verify your identity.

The document will be sent by mail and contains your full name, date of birth, registration date, registration number, and  TCRD issuance and expiration dates.

The document has a seal so vendors can tell it is an official document, and it is recommended that the individual presents it  along with ID to confirm their identity.



How to Register and Apply for Indian Status

Please download*** and fill out the forms below and come into the Band Office or Click Here for the online information.

***Please Note: The Guarantor Declaration MUST be filled out with each application


Your personal information needs to be kept up to date:

Please provide your latest contact information including address, contact numbers, email and any other updated information.

Please call the office at 250-740-2300 or email