Housing: Disturbing the Peace Policy

SFN housing has been receiving calls of Loud Music and cases of disturbing the peace. Please note that SFN does have a nuisance by-law that applies to all on reservation here in Snuneymuxw.


The SFN housing department would like to remind SFN tenants and the SFN community of the Party and Noise clause in SFN tenancy agreements. According to section 9.6 and 11.6 of our tenancy agreements:

9.6 The Tenant shall not disturb the peace through acts either in or around the Premises, or within the community in general. Where Housing determines, in its sole discretion, acting reasonably, that the Tenant has disturbed the peace, the Tenant shall be in material default under this agreement.

11.6 Proceedings – Disturbing the Peace
Where Housing has a reasonable belief that the Tenant was disturbing the peace in and around the Premises; the Tenant shall be notified (Notice of Default) that they are in default.

1. If the Tenant receives three (3) Notices of Default for disturbing the peace within any 12 consecutive month period this agreement shall be terminated and an Eviction Notice issued, requiring the Tenant to remove his or her belongings and vacate the Premises within five days of delivery of the Eviction Notice or by the last day of the month in which the Eviction Notice is issued, whichever is later to occur (the “Eviction Date”).

2. On the Eviction Date, the locks on the Premises will be changed at 3:00 p.m. on the Eviction Date. Any personal effects will be put into storage. The Tenant is responsible for the payment of moving and storage charges. The Tenant will peacefully surrender the Premises.

If there are case(s) of disturbing the peace, please
1. Call the police to make a report. They will check on the incident. 250-754-2345
2. Call the housing department to also make a complaint. 250-740-2300

Disturbing the peace is a breach in our tenancy policy and could lead to default in tenancy if problems persist.  SFN would like to keep our community safe for everyone.

Thank you, SFN Housing and Infrastructure Dept.