Snuneymuxw Territory has always been dotted with village sites throughout the eastern coast of Vancouver Island, the Gulf Islands, and the Fraser River. Our village sites have always formed an integral part of the seasonal round, a key characteristic of the Snuneymuxw way of life and culture.
Title to our village sites was recognized by the Crown in the Treaty of 1854 and were to be protected for Snuneymuxw for all time. This promise was broken and resulted in the unlawful alienation of these sites. Justice in this ongoing breach of our Treaty must still be realized.
Some of our village sites are found at Stlilnup (Departure Bay), Harbour Park, Teytexen, Tle:ltxw (False Narrows - Gabriola Island), and Sxwuyum (Millstone River).