Youth Program Leader Permanent Part-Time Dec 2014 DEADLINE EXTENDED
Under the direction of the Education Department Coordinator, the Youth Program Leader will oversee the operation of SFN’s Youth Program which focusses on fun, learning, and healthy socializing in order to create and maintain a positive, interactive and safe environment for Snuneymuxw First Nation youth.
- Designs and implements social, recreational and outdoor activities for school aged children and youth of Snuneymuxw First Nation.
- Supervises SFN Youth Workers and promotes a positive team atmosphere.
- Plans, purchases, prepare and serve nutritious snacks for all program participants.
- Ensures youth are supervised at all times and are engaged in safe activities.
- Develops and teaches youth anti-bullying strategies.
- Maintains effective relationships with participant’s parents and caregivers.
- Completes the attendance log each shift and complies with safety and emergency procedures.
- Cleans and tidies the Youth Centre at the end of each shift including washing dishes, disposing of garbage, ensuring supplies such as art work, paper, beads, etc., are stored and the computer area is orderly.
- Attends bi-weekly team meetings, provides up-dates and brings forward any recommendations.
- May assist with other SFN programs including Graduation, Back to School BBQ and the Summer Program BBQ Kick Off.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Qualification requirements:
- Child Youth Care Diploma/Degree and/or relevant experience working with children and youth.
- Valid Community Care Emergency First Aid Certificate, CPR & Fire Extinguisher Certification
- Class 4 Drivers’ License (preference will be given to Class 4 License Holders). (If no current Class 4 Drivers’ License, must be willing to obtain within 3 months of employment).
- Must successfully pass a Criminal Record Check.
- Excellent leadership, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Extremely detailed oriented.
- Ability to exercise good judgement, show initiative and be proactive.
- High standards of ethics and confidentiality to handle sensitive information.
Please submit your current resume and cover letter to:
Snuneymuxw First Nation
668 Centre Street, Nanaimo, BC, V9R 4Z4
Please note only those applicants who are short-listed will be contacted