Social Development Worker July 2015
Under the direction of the Social Development Coordinator (SDC), the Social Development Worker is responsible for keeping accurate records and files of all clients and assisting clients in social assistance applications and related tasks.
- Informs clients of their rights and responsibilities as it pertains to the Social Development Policies and Procedures and assists clients with completing all new applicant income assistance documentation.
- Ensures all forms and related documentation is completed in accordance with the Social Development Polices and is filed on a daily basis for audit compliance purposes.
- Ensures client files are maintained and filing is completed on a daily basis. On an annual basis, archive’s the previous years’ filing and creates new files for the current year.
- Enters new application calculations into Xantax system and creates Budget and Decision (B&D) forms. Revises forms as required.
- Refers all income assistance matters for the Social Development Worker’s immediate family to the SDC.
- Distributes Social Assistance cheques to clients on a monthly basis, or as required, and completes appropriate documentation.
- Develops and maintains a bring-forward system in the Outlook Calendar for payment of hydro bills, PWD expiration dates, PPMB expiration dates and Child Out of Parental Home dates.
- Refers community member’s questions or concerns related to child and family service matters to the SDC or in their absence, to Kwumut Lelum Child and Family Services. Advises details of the concern/matter to the SDC.
- Maintains working relationships with other First Nation bands and organizations.
- Prepares cheque requisitions for monthly food cards and distributes cards as per the approved sign out sheet.
- Prepares annual reports for National Child Tax Benefit and Statistical Report prior to the AANDC (INAC) deadline.
- Participates in seminars, workshops and training programs to upgrade skills and knowledge relevant to the position.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Certificate in Social Work and completion of Band Social Worker training modules.
- Five years of social work or related experience, preferably in a First Nations community.
- Strong communication skills both oral and written.
- Excellent team player who works collaboratively.
- Ability to deal with stressful situations and remain calm during conflict.
- High standard of ethics and ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Treats people equally, is compassionate and non-judgmental.
- Proven ability to work independently and effectively prioritize work flow.
Please submit your current resume and cover letter to:
Snuneymuxw First Nation
668 Centre Street, Nanaimo, BC, V9R 4Z4
Deadline Date: Friday, July 31, 2015
For more information contact Karen Ahenakew at 250 740-2324
Please note only those applicants who are short-listed will be contacted