Newcastle Island Park Facility Operators – Seasonal 2 Term Positions
(Term late May – early September 2015)
Under the direction of the Snuneymuxw First Nation (SFN) Newcastle Island Coordinator, SFN is recruiting for two Saysutshun/Newcastle Island Park Facility Operators to join the Lands and Resource Department in a full time term capacity. The successful applicants will assist in ensuring Newcastle Island is operating in an efficient manner. This is an excellent opportunity for individuals who are keen, motivated and looking to learn new skills.
- Ensures that park, campground and moorage facilities are maintained to BC Parks Standards which includes cleaning and general maintenance duties.
- Completes all necessary reporting including the Complaint/Occurrence Report and ensures the NCI Coordinator is notified immediately of any issues and infrastructure irregularities.
- Represents SFN in their role as the Park Facility Operator and communicates with the public in a professional manner to maintain a positive image of the park.
- Where required, utilizes wears and maintains personal protective equipment provided by SFN to ensure personal safety and adherence to safety regulations.
- Collects fees from park visitors, docks, buoys and campsites. Manages cash float and ensures it is safely secured according to SFN procedures.
- Operates the boat for garbage pickup, moving of building materials, pavilion food and beverages and other items as required.
- Maintains security in park and responds to all first aid emergencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
For a complete list of all responsibilities, please request the detailed Job Description.
- Experience in a park and/or marine/moorage environment is preferred.
- Small Vessel Operator Proficiency Certificate, VHF Marine Radio, Level 1 First Aid & CPR ‘C’, WCB Fall Protection, and Chainsaw Operators Course are a definite asset.
- Current and valid BC driver’s license.
- Ability to excel in a stressful, busy work environment, possess good judgment and show initiative.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to take direction and follow instructions.
- Must be able to swim and be physically fit.
- Ability or desire to develop skills to deliver interpretation programs for small groups.
- Public presentation skills are essential.
- Strong organizational skills with proven ability to effectively prioritize work flow.
Please submit your current resume and cover letter to:
Snuneymuxw First Nation
668 Centre Street, Nanaimo, BC, V9R 4Z4
For more information contact Trish Malfair at 250-713-0456. (Please note that Trish is available after April 7th)
Please note only those applicants who are short-listed will be contacted