Newcastle Island Park Caretaker & Facility Operator Sept 2016 EXTENDED
Newcastle Island Park Caretaker & Facility Operator - Term Position / Part-Time
Reporting to the Snuneymuxw First Nation Newcastle Island Coordinator, the NCI Park Caretaker and Facility Operator will assist in ensuring Newcastle Island is operating efficiently and is well maintained and represents the professional image of the Park and Snuneymuxw First Nation. Compliance with the requirements of the Park Facility Operating Agreement for Newcastle Island Marine Provincial Park is essential.
This is a term position starting September 2016 until June 2017. Full time hours may be required during parts of autumn and spring, winter hours are half time. This position requires a commitment to be on Newcastle Island/Saysutshun most of the time and offers rent free accommodation in an on-site Caretaker residence.
Park Facility Operator
1. Ensures that campground and moorage facilities are maintained to BC Parks Standards which includes cleaning and general maintenance duties.
2. Ensures all necessary reporting is completed which includes ensuring that direct supervisor is notified immediately of any Complaint/Occurrence Report issues, and all infrastructure irregularities.
3. Represents SFN in their role as Park Facility Operators which includes communicating with the public and maintaining the professional image of the park.
4. Where required, utilizes wears and maintains personal protective equipment provided by SFN to ensure personal safety and adhere to safety regulations.
5. Performs campground cleaning duties including campsites, building roofs, washroom facilities, buildings, beaches, day use areas and general park cleanliness (including clean up after animals).
6. Performs basic landscaping duties including trail maintenance, weed management, lawn mowing, brush trimming, pressure washing, and dock maintenance.
7. Carries out general maintenance duties including collection and disposal of garbage, splitting, bucking and stacking wood, painting and small repairs.
8. Collects fees from park visitors, docks, buoys and campsites. Manages cash float and cash reports and ensures it is safely secured according to SFN procedures.
9. Operates the boat for garbage pickup, moving of building materials, pavilion food and beverages and other items as required and transportation of SFN and BC Parks contractors
10. Ensures that all SFN Newcastle Island equipment is maintained at an operational standard, and maintains equipment log entrees for servicing.
11. Ensures that the Newcastle Island service yard is kept clean and organized which includes but is not limited to recycling duties.
12. Maintains security in all areas of the park
13. Responds to all first aid emergencies in park.
14. Maintains a daily work log as provided for weekly submission
15. Other duties as assigned.
Caretaker Residence and Property
1. Ensures the Caretaker residence and adjoining property is maintained and presentable at all times. Removes garbage, cleans the interior and exterior of the residence and performs basic maintenance as required.
• Experience in a park and/or marine/moorage environment is preferred.
• Small Vessel Operator Proficiency Certificate, VHF Marine Radio, Level 1 First Aid & CPR ‘C’, WCB Fall Protection, and Chainsaw Operators Course are a definite asset.
• Current and valid class 5 BC driver’s license with a clean driving record.
• Undergo criminal record check.
• Successfully pass third party pre-employment physical testing & examination
• Ability to excel in a stressful, busy work environment, possess good judgment and show initiative.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to take direction and follow instructions, to work independently and as part of a team
• Must be able to swim and be physically fit.
• Ability to operate a variety of machinery and equipment including chains saw, pressure washer, power tools, mowers
• General knowledge of carpentry and mechanical repairs
• Public presentation skills are essential.
• Strong organizational skills with proven ability to effectively prioritize work flow.
• Basic computer skills, email and word documents
• Possession of a reliable boat would be an asset and consideration given for this.
Please submit your current resume and cover letter to:
Snuneymuxw First Nation
668 Centre Street, Nanaimo, BC, V9R 4Z4
Deadline Date: September 29, 2016
For more information contact Trish Malfair at 250 802 0255
Please note only those applicants who are short-listed will be contacted