Nanaimo River DIDSON Data Technician
Salary: approximately $15.00 per hour
Work Period: September 1 to November 15
Up to 5 days training in September, increasing to full time from October – mid-November
The task of this position is to review the video data files that are used to estimate the abundance of chum salmon migrating upstream in the Nanaimo River to spawn.
Training will involve learning how to operate the system and review data files. Starting in October real time data will be available for processing. The data files will be reviewed on a laptop computer and involves counting fish targets moving across the screen.
Results are to be emailed to the DFO contact at the end of each day.
Video files are recorded using a Dual Identification Sonar (DIDSON) located in the river. The DFO contact will provide the files to the technician twice a week and will discuss progress.
- commitment to full time work from Oct 1 to Nov 15, Monday to Friday 8am to 4:30pm
- commitment to be available for training in September
- basic knowledge on how to use a computer including opening and closing files and how to work with computer files and folders
Position assets (not required)
- being comfortable with computers
- be able to work at a laptop computer for 8 hours per day (this is hard on the eyes for some people)
- self-motivated and able to work with little supervision
- how to enter data into a spreadsheet (training will be provided but a basic knowledge of data entry is an asset)
- how to use email and attach the data spreadsheet to the email
- work in an office at a laptop computer provided
- keep a time sheet up to date for hours worked and email that timesheet to DFO contact
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org at the Snuneymuxw First Nation Office.
If you have any questions please contact Nicolette Watson at Nicolette.email@example.com or by phone at 250-713-5711