Medical Office Assistant
Reporting to and working under the clinical supervision of the Home & Community Care Nursing Manager, the Medical Office Assistant is responsible for providing administrative and medical support and coordination to the Snuneymuxw Health Team. This is a full-time, permanent position to support our growing team.
The Medical Office Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Receive client phone calls and direct follow-ups to team members or make appointments as needed.
- Supply immunization records to parents, and provincial health agencies upon request following confidentiality guidelines and protocols.
- Update client demographic information on Profile EMR.
- Upload and scan confidential lab reports to client files and file documents as appropriate.
- Attend regular planning meetings and manage flow of information, such as recording minutes, sub-committee meetings and special event planning.
- Assist in delivering community events by coordinating administrative details.
- Prepare agendas, securing locations, and confirming attendance for set meetings.
- Run errands or shop in support of health care delivery when required.
- Refer clients to internal and external resources when appropriate.
- Scan all received medical documents for all patients registered at the Health Center.
- Be involved in contacting the physicians for all lab tests received outside of normal physician hours for advice.
- Liaise with Lifelabs and Excelleris to ensure result delivery is consistent for all patients seen at Snuneymuxw.
- Reconciliation of all investigations ordered by Snuneymuxw physicians for patients seen at the clinic to ensure results are received and not transferred to other clinics.
- Administrate requisitions/tests to ensure they are fully completed, and appointments are made for blood draw or imaging etc. and that relevant requisitions are available as needed.
- Improve Profile EMR functionality by liaising with the physicians and Profile helpdesk team.
- Assist other Snuneymuxw health staff in ensuring good engagement with community members.
- Provide a chaperone service for all intimate exams as required by physicians and/or requested by patients.
- Strive to meet and exceed the national standards of accreditation.
- Actively seek out and support activities that promote client, staff, visitor, and contractor safety.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 2 years administrative or medical office assistant experience.
- First Aid Certificate/CPR Level 1 considered an asset.
- Valid class 5 BC driver’s license an asset.
- Grade 12 Graduation required.
- Medical Office Assistant Certificate required.
- Medical Office Assistant Diploma considered an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent organizational and time management with the ability to multitask different tasks simultaneously.
- Adherence to a professional Code of Ethics.
- Strong work ethics with excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective and efficient working relationships with parents, staff and community agencies/representatives.
- Ability to work as a team member as well as to be self-directed in carrying out daily duties.
- Demonstrated ability to use software applications and clinical information system (preferable PROFILE).
- Knowledge of medical office procedures and functional flow.
- Knowledge of Microsoft 365 Suite, ex: Publisher, Word, and Excel.
- Knowledge of Coast Salish culture protocols/traditional practices is desirable.
- You may be required to work outside of work hours if an emergency occurs.
- You will be subject to satisfactory reference check and Criminal Records Checks with vulnerable sector search.
- You will be required to provide copies of your professional certificates.
- You must maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties of the Medical Office Assistant and must adhere to the Snuneymuxw Health Centre Confidentiality Policy; as well as your professional Code of Ethics and accreditation standards.
Please submit your current resume and cover letter to:
Snuneymuxw First Nation; attention: Tina-Marie Heinrich
668 Centre Street, Nanaimo, BC, V9R 4Z4 or email: HR@snuneymuxw.ca or Fax: 250-753-3492