Language & Elders Support Worker – 2 positions
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
1. Consults with SFN Elders relating to cultural protocols and practices and promotes Hul’qumi’num language with the community and SFN’s office staff.
2. Develops policies and procedures related to SFN’s culture and Elders programs.
3. Seeks funding for culture, language and Elder programs and maintains the budget for the Elders program.
4. Liaises with the Big House committee and addresses any issues as they arise.
5. Organizes cultural celebrations and workshops for SFN Elders, community members, the public and public schools, as required.
6. Assists SFN staff with culturally appropriate content related to job readiness and training programs, children and youth programs etc.
7. Advises Elders of monthly functions and coordinates events including transportation and visits to other First Nations communities.
8. Creates, updates and maintains an Elders function attendance schedule and ensures all Elders participate in events by rotating attendance.
9. Provides monthly reports to the Education Department Coordinator, as required.
10. Assists the community in addressing specific community issues and concerns and seeks solutions through the RCMP appointed to SFN or their Commander.
11. Encourages Elders and community members to become team members of SFN Justice Healing Circle.
12. Ensure implementation of physical distancing and all other safety and health guidelines