Home Care Worker
Under the direction of the Home Care & Community Nursing Coordinator, the Home Care Worker provides quality personal care and home support services within the Snuneymuxw First Nation community.
- Provides personal and supplemental care duties and services in SFN homes and/or in an institutional settings including (but not limited to) bathing, grooming, dressing, toileting, exercise programs, preparation of meals/cooking, laundry, shopping, home cleaning, transportation and minor home maintenance.
- Contributes towards promoting and maintaining the physical, psychological and social well-being of adult care/elder care clientele and advocates for dignity and self-respect of clients.
- Assists Snuneymuxw families in providing care for terminally ill clients.
- Reports changes in client’s health and living arrangements that may affect the individual care plans and assists in identifying and recommending adult care/elder care service delivery strategies and priorities.
- Instructs clients in diet/nutrition and available resources.
- Actively participates in community interagency meetings regarding adult care/elder care issues and assists in coordinating elder care events.
- Assists the Home Care and Community Nursing Coordinator with planning, designing and implementing comprehensive adult care/elder care program activities and initiatives.
- Maintains all records in a confidential and accurate manner and informs the Home Care and Community Nursing Coordinator with regular activity updates.
Education and Qualification requirements:
Completion of Grade 12.
A tuberculosis (TB) test and proof of immunization.
Possesses the following certificates/licenses:
- Home Care/Resident Care Attendant Certificate;
- Valid BC driver’s license;
- Transfer/Mechanical Lift Certificate;
- Food Safe Certificate;
- Palliative Care Certificate is desirable;
- Foot Care Certificate is desirable;
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods;
- First Aid and CPR Level C with AED;
- Workplace Hazardous Management Information System (WHMIS) certificate;
- ASSIRT certification.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective and efficient working relationships with clients and their families, staff and community agencies/ representatives.
- Ability to work as a team member as well as be self-directed; meet deadlines, prioritize workloads and multi-task as required.
- Knowledge of Snuneymuxw First Nation cultural protocols/traditional practices is desirable.
- Basic PC skills i.e. Word, Excel, Power Point and MS Outlook.
- Proficient with transfers (i.e., beds, wheelchairs), bathing, feeding and other personal care duties.
- Ability to handle sensitive information when dealing with emotional or troubled clients.
- High standards of ethics and confidentiality and ability to handle sensitive information.
Please submit your current resume and cover letter to:
Snuneymuxw First Nation
668 Centre Street, Nanaimo, BC, V9R 4Z4
For more information contact Maggie White at 250-740-2356
Please note only those applicants who are short-listed will be contacted