Under the direction of the Chief Councillor, the Communications Manager is responsible for developing and implementing a full range of effective communication and public relations strategies and ensuring information is complete and accurate. The Communications Manager is responsible for overseeing all internal and external communications, maintaining consistent and engaging messaging. The Communications Manager supervises a small team and will be involved in reviewing and preparing high-quality content such as newsletters, reports, brochures and other marketing material, public releases, website updates and development and overseeing Snuneymuxw’s social media activities and media relations. This is a permanent, full-time position with 30-37.5 hours per week.
The Communications Manager will be responsible for the following duties:
- Create and review content for both print and digital media including the website, social media channels, brochures, and newsletter.
- Plan, implement, and assess an internal and external communications strategy for Snuneymuxw to enhance relationships with internal and external audiences.
- Monitor Snuneymuxw' social media and online presence and respond in a professional and timely manner.
- Assess and report on the effectiveness of communication strategies using appropriate tools.
- Research, recommend, and implement measures to strengthen Snuneymuxw’s branding and public image.
- Provide photo and video editing services as needed.
- Address and resolve any problems that may arise with communication content or distribution of materials.
- Serve as point of contact for media and public questions.
- Support the development, implementation and evaluation of event-specific communications and plans.
- Supervise and develop staff and provide mentorship.
- Take an active role in employee recruitment and development.
- Actively seek additional funding resources for the communication activities/programs and submit proposals.
- Identify opportunities for operational efficiencies and implement these upon approval.
- Maintain a culture of integrity, respect, achievement, and accountability.
- Oversee and manage department budget.
- Liaise with other departments and stakeholders.
- Performs other tasks and duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a communication related field is required.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in managing/supervising staff.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, English, Public Relations or Journalism is required.
- Master’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, English, or Journalism or equivalent experience is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills with proven ability to effectively prioritize workflow.
- Ability to work under high stress/pressure.
- Skilled user in various software applications such as MS Office applications and any other work-related software (i.e. InDesign, Adobe)
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to handle conflict in a professional manager.
- Ability to build and maintain good relationships with all stakeholders.
- Possesses knowledge of effective communication strategies.
- Exhibits knowledge of Snuneymuxw’s identity, vision, and goals.
- High attention to detail.
- Ability to think creatively and analytically.
- Possesses solid problem-solving skills.
- High standards of ethics and confidentiality to handle sensitive information.
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team.
- Ability to delegate work to clerical and technical staff and to perform all duties with minimal supervision.
- Ability to provide supervision for staff, students, and volunteers.
- Knowledge and experience in facilitating public meetings and workshops.
- A commitment to ongoing professional development and continuous learning.
- Demonstrated ability to manage budgets.
- Strong understanding of social, economic, political, and historical concerns in Indigenous communities is an asset.
- You are required to possess and maintain a valid BC driver’s license, to have access to a reliable vehicle and appropriate insurance for work.
- You may be required to work outside of work hours if an emergency occurs.
- You will be subject to satisfactory reference check and Criminal Records Checks.
- You will be required to provide copies of your professional certificates.
- You must maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties of the Communications Manager and must adhere to Snuneymuxw’s policies, as well as your professional Code of Ethics and accreditation standards.
- You will be required to participate in a skills assessment test as part of the recruitment process.
Please submit your current resume and cover letter to:
Snuneymuxw First Nation; Attention: Tina-Marie Heinrich
668 Centre Street, Nanaimo, BC, V9R 4Z4 or email: HR@snuneymuxw.ca or Fax: 250-753-3492
Deadline Date: June 17, 2021