SUMMER CAMP August 2017
Thuy’she’num Tu Smun’eem Summer Camp
DEADLINE IS MAY 12
Please download and complete the application below.
Vancouver Island University and the ‘Su’luqw’a’ Community Cousins are hosting a 10-day summer camp from August 11-20, 2017 for Indigenous youth (Grades 9-12). The primary focus will be celebrating the education and cultural components that support youth/student’s ongoing learning journeys. Elder teachings, land-based learning, exploring VIU’s programs and campuses are just a sample of what our summer camp has to offer.
- Are you a leader in your community, role model, interested in post-secondary education?
- We are seeking twenty-five Indigenous youth from the five surrounding School Districts: Nanaimo-Ladysmith, Parksville-Qualicum, Cowichan, Port Alberni, and Powell River.
To apply fill out and submit the application form by the deadline: May 12, 2017
Please email expressions of interest to Troy.Barnes@viu.ca.
Successful applicants will be contacted via email.
The costs for this program are fully covered by VIU & ‘Su’luqw’a Community Cousins’ supported by the Peter Cundill Foundation.
- Support Indigenous youth leadership and the importance of balancing both cultural and academic education
- Build community of peers from all over the Island
- Incorporate land-based learning opportunities taught by local elders
- Offers a holistic education experience that includes cultural practices.
- To development confidence, leadership, financial literacy, and life skills.
- To support positive social contributions for their home communities.
AT Snuneymuxw First Nations Health Centre
Lisa Hanuse can assist you with application process cell#250-616-8693
Forms are also at Health Building
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact Troy Barnes