QQS Cultural Day Royal BC Museum & IMAX Field Trip
January 7th, 2016
Uy’skweyul Snuneymuxw Mustimuxw, Parents & Guardians;
It is time to start our new “ATTENDANCE CONTEST” for January and February!
I am excited to announce that we will be bringing the children who miss 2 days or less and that have 6 lates or less to the Royal BC Museum and IMAX in Victoria on February 19th, 2016.
At QQS we believe that if all of our children are at school everyday on time, we can teach them all that they need to know by the end of the school year.
Our QQS staff has been working hard to understand the needs of the school. What we do know for sure is that we need to work on attendance and getting to school on time. So, the QQS Staff have identified “ATTENDANCE” as our “Greatest Area of Need” and are totally committed to getting our students here every day and on time.
QQS ATTENDANCE CONTEST!
ALL QQS students are entered!
Our contest runs from Monday, January 11th, 2016 to February 18th, 2016.
QQS students are expected to attend everyday on time (8:40am to 2:30pm) Except on Mondays we have early dismissal at 2:00pm.
In this contest students MUST not miss more than 2 days.
School starts at 8:40am SHARP! If they walk in at 8:41am they are late!
Lates: what if my child is late for school? Three lates will be equivalent to one day missed.
Early departures: if a child leaves early three or more times this will be equivalent to one day missed.
Excused absences (example: Doctor or Dentist appointments) parents MUST PHONE IN BEFORE SCHOOL STARTS AT 8:40am to report that their son/daughter won’t be at school because of an appointment or illness.
SAFE ARRIVALS: Please ensure that you sign your child in upon their arrival so that we know that they have arrived at school safely.
SAFE DEPARTURES: Please sign your child at the front desk, so that we know who they are leaving with. This also helps us with our bus run at the end of the day. We also need to make sure we know who is in our school at all times in the event of an emergency.
We will be taking the students who have successfully made it to school and have missed or more than 2 days of school & on time between Monday, January 11th, 2016 to February 18th, 2016 on this VERY SPECIAL TRIP! THE QQS BEST ATTENDERS will be going to the Royal BC Museum and IMAX in Victoria!
Who: All of the QQS students who attend school and miss less than 2 days of school between Monday, January 11th, 2016 and February 18th, 2016.
What: QQS Attendance Contest (for the months of January and February)
Where: We will be going to the Royal BC Museum and IMAX in Victoria!
When: The trip will be on Friday, February 19th, 2016.
Why: We want ALL of our students to be here at QQS everyday!
We need your help parents, guardians, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, friends & relatives! Please help us get all of our children to school every day and on time!
What can you do?
- Set regular bed times and morning routines
- Lay out clothes and pack backpacks the night before
- Don’t let your child stay home unless he/she is truly sick. Keep in mind complaints of stomach ache or headache can be a sign of anxiety and not a reason to stay home.
- If your child seems anxious about going to school, talk to teachers, school counselors, and the principal and other parents for advice on how to make him/her feel comfortable and excited about learning.
- Develop back-up plans for getting to school if something comes up. Call on a family member, a neighbour, or another parent.
- Avoid medical appointments and extended trips when school is in session.
- Family members can go outside and stand on their porches and driveways and give our kids positive encouragement for going to school every day!
- Ask your child/children how their day was & “What did you learn today at school?”
- Be positive and encourage the kids to come to school!
It does take SNUNEYMUXW FIRST NATION COMMUNITY to raise a child! Please help us out by making sure that all of our students are at QQS everyday!
Yours in Education,
Roxanne Harris Principal
PLEASE RETURN COMPLETED FIELD TRIP FORM AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
Please download the permission slip documents below.