Summer 2018 Summer Student Opportunity:
Parks Canada is seeking TWO dynamic, self-motivated students to work with GINPR’s Clam Garden Restoration Project.
We are looking for one Clam Garden Outreach Assistant and one Clam Garden Ecological Assistant.
We are looking for students who have strong backgrounds in biology, resource management, restoration, archaeology, outreach, graphic design, or visual arts as well as an understanding of Coast Salish culture and history. The successful students will assist with the restoration, monitoring, and communication of ancient eco-cultural sites. They will also engage Canadians in the rich natural and cultural heritage of the Gulf Islands by:
• Assisting Parks Canada staff with ongoing clam garden restoration including ecological monitoring & community
• Participating in community outreach events
• Developing creative content and preparing materials to communicate the project to public audiences
Working with GINPR’s Clam Garden Restoration team you will gain diverse and valuable work experience in resource management while facilitating concrete gains toward the legacy of the clam garden project
18 weeks approx. April 30, 2018 – August 31, 2018
Approx. salary range: $15.63 – $17.92
Hours of work: 37.5 hours per week
- Knowledge of Coast Salish culture (experience working with SENĆOŦEN or Hul’q’umi’num languages an asset)
• Knowledge of concepts, principles or best practices for natural and cultural resource management or restoration
• Knowledge of principles for EITHER ecological monitoring, OR visual design and public outreach
• Experience working in outdoor environments and ability to do manual labour
• Experience working with conservation or community-based organizations
• Experience with computer programs, specifically MS Office (Word, Excel & PowerPoint)
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills, team-player and ability to work independently
• Shows initiative, good judgement and self-motivation
Conditions of Employment
Ability to provide Personnel screening & fingerprints for Government of Canada Reliability Security Clearance
(at time of hire);
Willingness to work irregular hours, overtime, weekends and /or statutory holidays and provincial/territorial holidays,
Willingness to work and/or travel in varied terrain and weather conditions by various means of transportation;
Willingness to use safe work practises and required personal protective clothing.
• Applicants must be registered in a recognized university or college program
• Applicants must have completed at least one year of full-time post-secondary education by May 2018
Currently enrolled in full time studies & returning to full-time post-secondary education in fall 2018 or winter 2019.
• Applicants must be Canadian citizens or have legal documentation to work in Canada.
• Valid driver’s licence to operate motor vehicles in BC
Please apply through your college or university Coop Department or by email to
CoteC-BEtudiant.CoastalBCStudent@pc.gc.ca with a short (max 1 page) cover letter and resume (max 2 pages).
Interviews to be conducted late February 2018. Only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview. For
additional information about the job or application process you can contact Rose Walker via email
CoteC-BEtudiant.CoastalBCStudent@pc.gc.ca. Selection Process # 2018-313