QQS Updates June 2017
Dear Snuneymuxw First Nation Mustimuxw,
Well here we are! Summer is finally here! As we approach the final days of school it is a great time to reflect on our school year!
We have had many great things happening here at QQS this year! Here are a few things that we have done in the 2016/2017 school year:
- We did the Terry Fox Run
- We participated in Earth Day by helping to clean our Snuneymuxw First Nation neighbourhood
- We did the stream to sea salmon enhancement program
- We did a great partnership with Gabriola Island Elementary School
- We hosted QQS/Snuneymuxw First Nation Cultural Days
- We went to the Spuptital Hul’quimin’um Language Competition at Ladysmith Secondary School and came in third place for both our K-3 and 4-7 teams!
- We collaborated with Literacy Nanaimo and had authors in our school
- Our teachers, education assistants & principal participated in the First Nations Schools Association/First Nations Schools Association Professional Growth Process. (Professional Development)
- QQS staff attended the Annual First Nations Schools Association Conference on Education
- Pink shirt day - anti-bullying day!
- Participated in National Aboriginal Day celebrations!
- We also worked hard in all subject areas all year long!
- Our attendance was something that we strive to improve as well!
All in all it was a phenomenal year! Our staff, students & parents all worked hard to ensure that everyone was successful in their learning journey!
Our first day of school for our next school year will be Wednesday, September 6th, 2017.
Have a super summer filled with laughter and fun!
Yours in Education,
Roxanne Harris, Principal
Spuptital Hul’quimin’um Language Competition
QQS students competed in the annual competition.
Stz’uminus First Nation territory welcome was done by Roxanne Harris. Then Chief John Wesley wished all of the teams the best of luck in the Spuptital Language Competition!
QQS Kindergarten to Grade 3 Team placed 3rd place!
QQS Grade 4-7 Team placed 3rd place!